BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2
Ultrasonic Testing (UT) is a category of non-destructive testing (NDT) commonly used to test the integrity of welds. This particular method of NDT is used to inspect inside a material, rather than its surface.
The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT) have developed Personnel Certfication in Non-Destructive Testing (PCN) for inspectors, testers and engineers who require a thorough introduction to the ultrasonic testing of welded joints.
UT can determine the exact position of a discontinuity (such as a crack) in a weld. High frequency sound currents are sent through the welded object being tested until they are intercepted by a discontinuity. The currents are then reflected back from the point of the weld where the discontinuty originates and converted into an electrical signal which provides meaningful information on a display device.
The measurements of a weld can also be determined using the same method of UT.
BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2 provides a comprehensive understanding of the ultrasonic testing of plate (3.1) and pipe (3.2) welds.
Delegates will gain the skills and knowledge to reach a PCN Level 2 standard in UT.
The UT Level 2 examination for 3.1 and 3.2 includes two theory papers and a practical exam.
This course is the equivalent of 120 hours of training.
PLEASE NOTE: The price includes examination fee, PCN levy and all course materials, tests and consumables.
Delegates completing a BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2 training course will be able to;
- Understand the basic concept of ultrasonic testing
- Select and calibrate the appropriate equipment using calibration blocks
- Measure the thickness of steel plates
- Carry out parent material inspection covering laminations, laps, stringers and inclusions
- Work in accordance with BS 10160
- Correctly locate, size and report parent plate defects
- Determine attenuation levels
- Locate and determine size of laminations in steel plates
- Select correct type of probe to examine butt welded joints
- Detect and report the location and size of defects in butt welds
- Interpret code requirements related to ultrasonic testing
- Meet the syllabus requirements for PCN Level 2
A BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2 training course includes;
- The basic principles of ultrasonics
- The nature of sound
- Welding technology
- Welding processes and defects
- Flaw detector and testing equipment
- Calibration flaw location and sizing methods
- Setting the controls
- Behaviour of ultrasonic waves
- Calibration and reference blocks
- Plotting beam profiles
- Flaw location
- Practical exercises including plates, butt welds, techniques
- Report writing
In order to receive a BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2 certificate, the minimum duration of training is:
- Level 1 - 40 hours
- Level 2 - 80 hours (direct to level 2 - 120 hours)
The required duration of training is fulfilled by attending this training course.
In order to receive a BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.1, 3.2 PCN Level 2 certificate, the minimum duration of work experience is:
- Level 1 - 3 months
- Level 2 - 9 months (direct to level 2 - 12 months)
PLEASE NOTE: The examination may be taken before or after work experience is completed, however the certificate will not be issued until proof of experience is provided. After passing the examination, a results notice is issued by PCN and you then have 24 months to complete the required work experience.