OPITO Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader (OERTL)
Every offshore emergency response team on an offshore oil and gas platform or drilling rig will have a team leader to coordinate the response to an emergency situation.
OPITO have established specialist emergency response standards to ensure offshore emergency response team leaders can direct a team safely and effectively.
OPITO Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader (OERTL) training equips the leaders of offshore emergency response teams with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to perform their role effectively.
The training programme meets the training and assessment requirements for a team leader in the oil and gas industry.
OPITO OERTL training involves real smoke and fire in simulated environments and emergency situations.
Delegates completing an OPITO OERTL training course will be able to;
- Understand the key responsibilities and main priorities of an emergency response team leader
- Delegate tasks to offshore emergency response team members (OERTMs) effectively
- Communicate effectively with relevant emergency response personnel and lead an OERTM in a clear and confident manner
- Direct OERTMs into an incident area when it is safe to do so and continually assess how the changes in an emergency could impact the safety of the team members
- Conduct dynamic risk assessments throughout an incident
- Look for and respond accordingly to signs of stress in individual OERTMs during an emergency
- Effectively monitor breathing apparatus (BA) control
- Effectively lead an OERTM during both non-fire incidents and firefighting operations
- Conduct missing persons and casualty management effectively during an emergency
An OPITO OERTL training course includes;
- Offshore emergency response arrangements and procedures
- Fixed fire systems offshore
- Working practises and procedures
- Missing personnel and casualty handling
- Portable firefighting equipment
- Extinguishing a fire and/or securing an area
- Conducting and controlling BA operations
- Minimising damage to property
- Maintaining effective communications
Delegates completing an OPITO OERTL training course must hold:
- A valid and in-date offshore medical certificate OR operator approved medical certificate
- A valid and in-date OPITO OERTM certificate OR OPITO OERTM Further certificate
Delegates must also undergo medical screening by completing an appropriate medical screening form provided by the OPITO-approved centre (a list of medical conditions which could be included in a medical screening form is available from OPITO).
PLEASE NOTE: This course is delivered by Offshore Training Newcastle (OTN) at Newcastle International Airport Training Academy.
The OPITO standard for this course can be found here.
You can also book an OPITO Offshore Emergency Response Team Member (OERTM) course at AIS Training.