OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader (HERTL)
The Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader (HERTL) standard forms part of a wider industry Helideck Training and Competency Framework.
OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader (HERTL) training provides a thorough introduction to the role of a HERTL on an offshore installation.
The training programme equips delegates with the skills, knowledge and confidence to safely manage any offshore helideck and helicopter emergency.
Delegates will lead a Helideck Emergency Response Team in simulated emergency scenarios involving real smoke and fire.
Delegates completing an OPITO HERTL training course will be able to;
- Understand the importance of pre-planning for a range of helideck and helicopter emergencies
- Understand the main elements of the response requirement for a range of helideck and helicopter emergencies
- Understand the importance of emergency response practise including onshore training and offshore drills
- Understand the requirements for different types of emergency response systems and controls
- Understand how the limited emergency response capability on a normally unattended installation (NUI) can affect NUI helideck emergency response
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of both the HERTL and the Helideck Emergency Response Team during a helicopter-related emergency
- Understand and manage human factor issues during emergencies
- Lead a Helideck Emergency Response Team during a range of helideck emergency scenarios (including those involving live fires) in a safe and controlled manner
An OPITO HERTL training course includes;
- Helideck emergency response pre-planning
- Helideck and helicopter emergency systems and controls
- NUI emergency response requirements
- HERTL emergency response responsibilities and requirements
- Practical exercises for HERTL
In order to complete an OPITO HERTL training course, delegates must hold:
- A valid OPITO Helideck Operations Initial Training certificate or a valid Offshore Helideck Assistant (HDA) Initial Training Certificate or a valid Offshore Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO) Training Certificate
- A valid OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Certificate or a valid Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Further Certificate
- A valid Radio Operators Certificate of Competence (ROCC) – UKCS Operations only
- A valid Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Further Certificate and a valid Radio Operators Certificate of Competence (ROCC) – UKCS Operations only and Learners must have completed Dangerous Goods by Air training course in accordance with Part 1, Chapter 1.4 of the ICAO Technical Instructions and sub section 1.5 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, Category 7, 8 or 9 or state aviation approved dangerous goods awareness training course.
If a Learner holds a valid Helideck Emergency Response Team Member (HERTM) OR Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Further (HERTM – F) OR Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader (HERTL) OR Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader Further (HERTL – F) certificate, then there will be no requirement to complete the Helideck Operations Initial Training Standard.
PLEASE NOTE: This course is delivered by Offshore Training Newcastle (OTN) at Newcastle International Airport Training Academy.
The OPITO standard for this course can be found here.
You can also book an OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member (HERTM) course at AIS Survivex.