Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces - City and Guilds
City and Guilds have developed a Working in Confined Spaces training programme for personnel who enter, supervise or manage confined spaces.
Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces is a level 2 qualification for personnel entering a confined space to carry out work.
Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces provides the knowledge and skills to safely work in confined spaces associated with lone working where the application of proper procedures is required. The course specifically focuses on confined spaces presenting no likely risk of flooding with adequate ventilation.
Low risk confined space environments often have entries no deeper than three meters with an unobstructed vertical lift and a straight ladder into a dark chamber. This can include meter pits, valve chambers, booster-pumping stations and PRV chambers.
Delegates will gain practical experience of using fall arrest and retrieval equipment. Tasks will also include appropriate ladder climbing techniques which will allow for safe access and egress into a confined space.
The training is delivered as a combination of theoretical and practical elements with a focus on providing hands-on experience for the delegates.
Delegates completing a City and Guilds Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces training course will be able to;
- Use appropriate knowledge and behaviour to work safely in low risk confined spaces
- Enter and exit confined spaces safely
- Risk assess confined spaces
- Understand permit to work schemes
- Use applicable equipment safely
- Deal with emergency procedures
- Apply relevant industry standards to working in low risk confined spaces
- Use gas monitors to test for toxic, explosive or asphyxiating gases
A City and Guilds Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces training course includes;
- Legislation, regulations and guidance
- Confined space definitions and classification
- Risk assessments and workplace safety
- Control measures
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) and safe access
- Atmosphere testing
- Gas detection and ventilation
- Emergency planning
- Practical exercises
- Written assessment
There are no prerequisites for a City and Guilds Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces training course.