This training provides an understanding of the nature and risk of fire, and expertise to respond effectively to extinguish fires, should they develop; enabling them to be competent when discovering a fire on-board, to take immediate action and respond to emergencies on board a vessel.
The overall aim is to provide seafarers with the necessary knowledge, understanding and proficiency to carry out designated fire duties in accordance with international regulations.
On completion of the training, trainees will have the knowledge of:
- The ways in which fires are caused
- The precautions to be taken to minimise the risk of fire on ships.
- Hazards involved in fire at sea
- Fire prevention precautions
- Fire detection and raising alarms
- First Aid Actions on discovery of a fire
- Duties of members and Equipment
The learner must be at least 16 years of age to be issued with a Certificate of Proficiency. In exceptional circumstances where a learner is physically able and fit they may be able to complete the training course prior to her/his 16th birthday.
Please Note: This course can also be booked as part of the STCW Basic Safety Training Package.