BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2
Dye Penetrant Inspection is a category of non-destructive testing (NDT) commonly used to locate surface-breaking defects in all non-porous materials (metals, plastics or ceramins) using dye.
The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT) have developed Personnel Certfication in Non-Destructive Testing (PCN) for inspectors, testers and engineers who require a thorough introduction to dye penetrant inspection.
BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2 provides an enhanced understanding of dye penetrant enabling the competent implementation of the NDT method.
Delegates will work on test pieces and industrial components with emphasis on interpretation of defect indications, also comparing sensitivity of the visible and fluorescent methods.
The course includes a combination of theoretical and practical work using fixed work stations or portable equipment as required.
Delegates completing a BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2 training course will be able to;
- Understand factors which influence the quality of fusion welds in steels
- Recognise characteristics of commonly used welding processes in relation to quality control
- Interpret drawing instructions and symbols to ensure that specifications are met
- Set up and report on inspection of welds, macro sections and other mechanical tests
- Assess and report on welds to acceptance levels
- Confirm that incoming material meets stipulated requirements and recognise the effects on weld quality of departure from specification
- Pass the level 2 examinations
A BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2 training course includes;
- The duties and responsibilities of a welding inspector
- Fusion welding processes
- Typical weld defects
- Types of steel
- Low alloy and stainless steels
- Hardening of steels
- Parent metal defects
- Visual inspection
- Testing parent metals and welds
- Destructive tests
- Codes and standards
In order to receive a BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2 certificate, the minimum required duration of training is:
- Level 1 - 16 hours
- Level 2 - 24 hours (direct to level 2 - 40 hours)
The required duration of training is fulfilled by attending this training course.
In order to receive a BINDT Dye Penetrant Inspection PCN Level 2 certificate, the minimum duration of work experience is:
- Level 1 - 1 month
- Level 2 - 3 months (direct to level 2 - 4 months)
PLEASE NOTE: The examination may be taken before or after work experience is completed, however the certificate will not be issued until proof of experience is provided. After passing the examination, a results notice is issued by PCN and you then have 24 months to complete the required work experience.