BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.8, 3.9 PCN Level 2
Ultrasonic Testing (UT) is a category of non-destructive testing (NDT) commonly used to test the integrity of welds. This particular method of NDT is used to inspect inside a material, rather than its surface.
The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT) have developed Personnel Certfication in Non-Destructive Testing (PCN) for inspectors, testers and engineers who require a thorough introduction to the ultrasonic testing of welded joints.
UT can determine the exact position of a discontinuity (such as a crack) in a weld. High frequency sound currents are sent through the welded object being tested until they are intercepted by a discontinuity. The currents are then reflected back from the point of the weld where the discontinuty originates and converted into an electrical signal which provides meaningful information on a display device.
The measurements of a weld can also be determined using the same method of UT.
BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.8, 3.9 PCN Level 2 provides a comprehensive understanding of the ultrasonic testing of nozzle (3.8) and node (3.9) welds.
Delegates will gain the skills and knowledge to reach a PCN Level 2 standard in UT.
The UT Level 2 examination for 3.8 consists of two nozzle samples, one designated as a partial penetration weld, the other a full penetration weld. Welds can be set-on and / or set-through configurations. Successful completion of this exam category automatically qualifies the delegate to inspect structural tee joints.
This course is the equivalent of 40 hours of training.
PLEASE NOTE: The price includes examination fee, PCN levy and all course materials, tests and consumables.
Delegates completing a BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.8, 3.9 PCN Level 2 training course will be able to;
- Define the limitations of application of ultrasonic testing
- Set up and verify equipment settings
- Perform and supervise tests
- Interpret and evaluate results
- Pass the Welding Inspector level 2 examinations
A BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.8, 3.9 PCN Level 2 training course includes;
- Node joints are oblique stub attachments welded to a curved base
- Test full change in geometry is required to be tested
- Interpret drawing instructions and symbols to ensure that specifications are met
- Set up and report on inspection of welds, macrosections and other mechanical tests
- Assess and report on welds to acceptance levels
- Confirm that incoming material meets stipulated requirements and recognise the effects on weld quality of departure from specification
In order to receive a BINDT Ultrasonic Testing (UT) 3.8, 3.9 PCN Level 2 certificate, delegates must hold:
PLEASE NOTE: The examination may be taken before or after work experience is completed, however the certificate will not be issued until proof of experience is provided. After passing the examination, a results notice is issued by PCN and you then have 24 months to complete the required work experience.